Saturday, April 26, 2008

Meaning of Slechta

Here is some interesting information.
 
- the czech word "šlechta" means in english "aristokracy" or "nobility"
- as much as I was able to learn, in Bohemia there did exist a minimum 3 aristokracy families
       - Slechta of Vsehrdy (old family since 15th century)
       - Slechta of Hrochov ( young family, aristokracy till beginning 1859)
       - Slechta of Mitenperk (listed only in 16th century)
 
 
I also found that the Czech spelling of Hruska is Hruška.


Express yourself wherever you are. Mobilize!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My great-grandmother was a Slechta (Emma Katherine Slechta), born in Iowa, to the Slechta/Vomastic family that immigrated from Bohemia to Minnesota then Iowa in the 1860's. Many still live in the Milford/Vail, Iowa area. I remember visiting them in the late 1840's.

Ron Bay

Paul Slechta said...

Ron,

My father told me, that his grandfather told him that we have Slechta relatives in Iowa. I have not checked into story as of yet, but once I have finished gather all the information on my 3 Great Grandfather and his descendants, I plan to check that out.

Paul